Friday, January 27, 2006

Go Auto Magazine



GO AUTO MAGAZINE
What was the make and model of your first car?
A red 1976 Ford Capri convertible! The previous owner had it customised, it was wicked! It was heavy and hard as hell to park – I became the mistress of the 100 point turn.

Where and when was your most memorable overseas road trip experience?
1997, me and dad went to the Monaco Grand Prix. We rented a car, just the two of us, and drove through Germany, Switzerland, France and down to Monaco. Dad’s amazing fun to go road-tripping with. We play Beach Boys music and stop at bars along the way. It was the best holiday of my life.

What do you like most about the current car you are driving?
I drive a silver Honda Integra, it looks nice, the stereo’s loud, it’s not a gas-guzzler, and I’ve never had a mechanical problem with it. That’s all that matters to me.

What was the most memorable or interesting car that you have driven?
I never drove it but I sat in one of those Smart Cars. It’s just a driver and passenger seat. They’re designed so you can park front on, they fit into the space of a motorbike. I felt so claustrophobic, I can’t believe people take them on the road. It’s like a kids buggy.

If you won the 1st division of Lotto, which car would you buy and why?
I’d buy the Ferrari F1 Car (and team) then employ Jacques Villeneuve and Ralf Schumacher. I’d then have the back straight at Pukekohe extended to make it a viable option to race F1. New Zealand deserves a circuit. There are a lot of fans here who can’t afford to fly out to them, and all fans should experience atleast one F1 race live.

What was the funniest thing that you ever saw, while driving in the car?
My road trip with dad. On the motorways in France, every so often you pay tolls. We pulled up to a toll-booth and dad paid. As the toll-arm was about to raise it dropped down. Dad slammed on the brakes to avoid it smashing the windscreen, the guy went to raise it again, dad lurched forward, and again it dropped. As the toll guy raised it a third time dad floored it, doing the world’s biggest burnout. We peeled away from the tollbooth sending gravel everywhere. I’ve never heard squealing rubber like that in my life. It was hilariously funny and I almost wet my pants laughing!

When buying a car what features and benefits do you look for?
All I care is that it’s black or silver, a sleek shape and has a CD player. Sad but true.

How did you become a F1 fan?
Dad raced F Pacific cars when I was a kid and we spent many weekends at Pukekohe. He’d be set up with his tent and crew in the pits and the smell of tyres, tar seal and hotdogs became the smells of happiness. He always watched the GP’s on TV and I still associate the sound of the engines and the look of the track with happy times.

Which team do you support?

I’m a Jacques Villenueve fan! The year I went to the Monaco GP was the year Villeneueve won the championship for Williams. I’ll support whichever team he’s driving for, it was Williams, then BAR (what a disaster that was) and now it’ll be Sauber. I’m unbelievably excited he’s been given a ride for 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home