Sunday, August 31, 2008

VIVA Magazine - NZ Herald August 2008


She may work at radio station The Rock, but there are no ripped bogan jeans, westie black lace or metal band T-shirts in sight for Tracey Donaldson. In fact, the radio DJ's style could be the antithesis of the stereotypical rock chick look. Donaldson, who has worked at The Rock for nine years, counts New Zealand's queens of bling, Trelise Cooper and Yvonne Bennetti as her favourite designers and is more likely to admire the style of Nicole Richie than Courtney Love. "It's hard, once you're over 30, to pull off the rock chick look," says Donaldson, who hosts the lunchtime show on The Rock. Though she does have a not-so-secret rock chick past. "I still have all my Nirvana and Guns N Roses t-shirts, I'll never get rid of them. It's like my own vintage collection!"

Who are your favourite designers? Yvonne Bennetti, Trelise Cooper and Helen Cherry. Overseas I love Alannah Hill.
What was the last item of clothing you bought? Not the last, but my favourite recently - a silk, blush coloured Trelise Cooper dress for the NZ Radio Awards. The boys I work with cleaned up that night - I was so proud of them.

Who or what inspires you? Tabloid images of people like the Olsen Twins and Nicole Richie. I love their unstructured look that you know took 2 hours to put together to look like it took 5 minutes. Fantastic trickery.

Your favourite accessory? My gold Guess watch. My husband and I bought each other watches on our wedding day in Las Vegas so it has both fashion and sentimental value.

What's the one thing everyone should have in their wardrobe? Great handbags. 1 black "go-everywhere" handbag is soooo dull.

Your favourite shops and why? The Alannah Hill and Trelise Cooper Kids store in Nuffield Street. The right interior, and dressing room plays a big part in making you part with your $$

Your best beauty tip? Lash tinting. My eyelashes and eyebrows are so blonde I look like the milky bar kid when I take off my makeup. I have them tinted so my husband doesn’t get scared when he sees me first thing in the morning.

What can't you live without? My family and dogs, Villa Maria pinot gris, Starbucks and Led Zeppelin.

Your fashion obsession? Handbags. My husbands share of our wardrobe is down from a half to about a 5th. My bags are like the triffods.

Whose wardrobe would you most like to raid? The Olsen twins for their couture. Victoria Beckhams for her shoes and handbags.

What do you wear to work? The beauty of radio means I can wear dresses and heels if I feel like it, jeans and trainers if I feel like it. I wore slippers to work recently when I was hungover. And I forgot Shihad were coming in that day....super...

Is there anything you think the fashion police should ban? People say it every week in this column - Crocs are vile. Why aren’t the fashion police responding??

You feel best wearing? My trackies and slippers when I get home. Velour fabric, elastic waistbands, all the ugly things that make you feel sooo good.

Most overrated item in fashion? The trench coat. You look like Inspector Jacques Clouseau in Pink Panther.

How would you describe your style, in a sentence? The older I get the more I get the 'quality vs quntity' thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home